Re: Debian creates duplicate image files with strange extensions!

when I take this folder through the windows explores I get files with
a "~" attached to there names. If I try to delete them or open them
the I get an error

These are created by Windows (may be XP SP2 specific) whenever it creates a file. They contain zone information metadata - plain text files with details of where the files came from. I have been getting them for a while now, but only when a file is created with XP SP2 writing to a Woody Samba installation. If I create a file on a Sarge Samba installation these files do not appear.

I don't know of a workaround, there may be a way of telling Windows not to add the metadata, or indeed newer versions of Samba may ignore them altogether...

Cheers