mystery file spotted in /

Say if we spot a file,
# ls -l /root-n
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 0 2004-03-24 00:31 /root-n
and we can't tell what package(s) made it,
# dpkg -S /root-n
dpkg: /root-n not found.
nor is it mentioned in debian-policy/fhs,
how do we know it is safe to remove it,
or must we just let it sit there for eternity out of fear,
even though all along it might have just been the product of our
fumble fingers, or maybe it indeed is the linchpin that holds the
system together.

Why is there no Department of Homeland Security, whom we can ask if
this file really belongs on our system, and not is some wetback,
enjoying the good times right on "/" itself, immune from meaningful
stat(1) checks, as "I am a 0 bytes file, access times don't
necessarily reflect my importance, you still dare to delete me?"

Anyway, I don't even know if the available security packages will
investigate randomly named files in this free for all file system of
ours where any traces of what did what are only in each .deb itself.

Can I delete /root-n?