Re: ppp0 fails to start at boot, only when pppoeconf is ran

Hello

H. S. (<greatexcalibur@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> When I reboot Debian Sarge, kernel 2.6.7, ppp0 fails with this
> message: pppd[4989]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
> pppd[4989]: Linux kernel does not support PPPoE -- are you running
> 2.4.x? pppd[4989]: Exit.
>
> After booting up, starting it also fails with the same message. I have
> to reconfigure ppp0 with
> #> pppoeconf
>
> and then ppp0 starts and stops properly without any problems (with
> 'pon dsl-provider' and 'poff -a' commands respectively). What could be
> wrong?
>
> $> dpkg -l pppoe* hal udev | grep '^ii'
> ii  pppoe          3.5-4          PPP over Ethernet driver
> ii  pppoeconf      1.0.11         configures PPPoE/ADSL connections
> ii  hal            0.2.98-6       Hardware Abstraction Layer
> ii  udev           0.040-1        /dev/ management daemon
      ^^^^

udev is your problem. With udev activated, modules can not be autoloaded
on access like with devfs or the old-style /dev system. You need to add
some drivers to /etc/modules, including ppp_generic, and probably pppoe
support. Use lsmod after running pppoeconf to look for modules you
need.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270