Re: AW: ignoring dependencies

> > > Now, is there any means to apt-get install A, ignoring it's alleged
> > > dependencies to B and C, not affecting it's remaining deps?
> >
> > Doing so is a really stupid idea, since the dependencies are
> > there to ensure that the intended package you install will
> > work.
>
> Assuming those dependencies are well-tailored, you're right. But now A's
> core functionality doesn't need B and C, only some additional features, I
> don't care about, do. You might answer, the right thing to do is to file a
> wishlist bug-report to split A, thats propably what I'll do anyways. But
> until this effects official sarge packages, which I'm going to use by
> policy, I need some workaround.
>
> Telling the apt/dpkg system to ignore exactly A's desire for B and C would
> be perfect. So again - is there any possibility do do so? I'd appreciate any
> hint to this, as I'm searching for quite a while now.

i believe:

using aptitude you could install package A normally, then B, C, D, ...
will all be installed 'automatically', now delete/purge B and C. this
will leave A broken, but still installed. B, C, and all their
dependencies which were automatically installed will be deleted/purged.

give it a try.

-matt zagrabelny