framebuffer problem in 2.6.9?

I just downloaded and compiled the kernel-source 2.6.9 of Debian after applying swsusp2 patches. First I tried with my current config file (2.6.7) but the frambuffer seemed not be working properly. Using vga=791, I was not getting anything meaningful during the boot process. Just some noise in the top 25% or so of the screen. I then removed the framebuffer support and recompiled and now 2.6.9 boots okay (but with the usual lower resolution of course). Anyone else experience this problem?

->HS