Re: change IP and default route.

In message <2WV0i-4Rp-39@gated-at.bofh.it>, Dr. David Kirkby <drkirkby@medphys.ucl.ac.uk> writes
I installed a system on a company network with a fixed IP (, but recently bought a small router. The PC will now have to use the router as the default route, and I will make the IP private.

The following commands do what I want

# ifconfig eth0 netname # set my IP to
# route add default gw

But how do I set this to happen automatically? I changed the IP in /etc/hosts, and had an attempt at changing /etc/gateways, but clearly not successfully, as the routing does work after a reboot - I need to type these commands again.

The file you need is /etc/network/interfaces. It's fairly self-explanatory, or man interfaces for the whole story..