Re: raid

Hardware raid only works with entire disks, but Linux MD raid is more flexable.

For a three drive raid5 array, create one partition on each drive that is the same size (and doesn't overlap enything else!). It looks like you only have two unused drives -- that's fine. Create a raid5 array sdbX and sdcX and one "missing" drive (where X is the partition number you just created.)

copy over your filesystems, (if you're using an initrd, make sure it will detect your array) and boot off of your md array.
Now add your the partition that was in use to your array and you're set.

That is a general overview of the steps, I'm sure more details can be found with google, and I strongly suggest you use mdadm, and scrap the raidtools package.

Mike

Huston wrote:

That is the way it was recommended by the software to have a whole disk partition. I am okay with the data. I have it someplace else too. So how should I have my partitions set up? Get rid of the overlapping partition....I am getting that.......so I should just have a Linux and swap partition.... So what partition should I be looking at raiding..... the Linux partition? What should I have put in my raidtab where the question marks are? I had a 3 for the whole disk. I am assuming that I should just do the Linux partition.. Should my first device be my hard drive at 0? I have the OS residing on disk 0.....Thanks in advance.

raiddev /dev/md0
       raid-level      5
       nr-raid-disks   3
       nr-spare-disks  0