Re: kernel-source and kernel-header?

On Monday 01 November 2004 15:22, lianliming wrote:
> Hi all,
>      i want to compile and install a new kernel. Using aptitude to search
> the "kernel" package, i find there are "kernel-source" and "kernel-header"
> packages.
>     Should i install the both kernel "source" and "header" to install the
> new kernel?
you need only to install the kernel-source.
there are other things that you need, such as: libncurses5-dev, debhelper,
kernel-package, dpkg-dev. some of these are only needed if you wish to
compile the kernel the "debian way". there are several how to's on the web,
on how to compile the kernel the "debian way". it works fine since in the
process you build a .deb file that you can install using dpkg -i
kernel-ima......

>     Another interesting question: if i install "kernel-source-2.6.8" and at
> the same time "kernel-header-2.6.7", what will happen?
I don't know what will happen, but possibly nothing
--
Rui Silva
ruka@tugamail.com