How many packages

Hello,
I have a question about installing Sarge and I am  not sure if I am sending this to the right place. I am graetful if you over send this to the right person (place) in case it is necessary.
I have used Debian installer to download Sarge. I started two days ago and since then packages are droping in and they are already almsot 600 of them.
I have chosen only desktop manager (not server options) and my question is how many packages I should expect to be down loaded tottaly.
Thank you for your help.
Reza