Audio problems related to Java VM

After I installed Java ( filename: j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin) I've had
problems with audio in some progs. XMMS (audioplayer), gaim
(chattingprog), totem(movieplayer) and mplayer(movieplayer) fails to play
any sound at all.  All these programs workes before installing java. When
running XMMS I get this error message:

"Couldn't open audio:
Please chech that:
Your soundcard is configured properly
You have the correct output plugin selected
No other program is blocking the soundcard"

I wrote "fuser /dev/dsp" in terminal and got nothing as a result.

Using apt I found a package called sndconfig. Running this tellsme that my
sound configurations is OK and sndconfig playes a sound perfectly.

I've tried google, but I'm not able to find any clues.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do?

Regards Vegard, Norway.