Re: plugin with mozilla

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 01:07:14AM +0100, Gerard Robin wrote:
> Hello,
> first I am sorry to have sent 2 idiot messages on the list, it was an error
> on my part.
>
> I have a problem with mozilla-browser 1.7.3-5 :
> certain site (http://www.franceinter.com) asks me to install the plugin
> "flash".
> I donwloaded the tarball "install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz".
>
> My question is: can'I compile this file (in /usr/local/) and installed it
> without causing any damage to my system ?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

It would probably be safer to use one of the Debian packages for flash
(try apt-cache search flash or apt-cache search shockwave), since the
conventions about file placement, ownership, etc, might be a bit
different from Debian.

On the other hand, the file you have may just unwrap to a bunch of
files and instructions to move them to various places.

I doubt you can compile it; it probably has a binary (closed source).

Another possible point of confusion: flash (aka shockwave flash) is
available for Linux, but shockwave (aka director, I think) is not.  So
even after installing flash, you may find some sites that won't work.