Re: Knoppix question [HD install inflexibility]

[This message has also been posted.]
In article <2Uvt7-24F-15@gated-at.bofh.it>, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:46:07AM +0800, Lian Liming wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>    I wonder if i can install knoppix directly to the hard disk?
>>    I heard that the knoppix is based on debian system. So after
>> installed the knoppix to hard disk, can i use the "apt " package tools
>> on it?
>>    Thank you for suggestions!
>>
> Yes, you can install Knoppix on hard disk, and make it bootable.
> The instructions as to how to do it are on the Knoppix disk somewhere.
> I remember seeing them, but don't remember exactly where.
> Consider, instead, installing the real Debian. Many people of only modest
> skill have done it, myself included.

In a pinch, you can install Knoppix to HD.  Get a root shell
(it's under the fat penguin on the KDE panel) and type
knoppix-installer

In older versions of Knoppix, that command was knx-install.

Be warned, knoppix-installer is not very flexible.  It will
install your whole system in two partitions: one file system
and one swap.  And that setup is buried in the initial ramdisk
image.  Correcting that problem has turned out to be very difficult,
and I haven't gotten any answers about how to do it from
the Knoppix.net forums.  (How do you make a working Knoppix installation
with /usr on its own partition?)  If you want a Debian system that will
be easy to maintain and configure, install official Debian.

See http://gandhi.greens.org/~cls/knoppixsheet.pdf
and http://gandhi.greens.org/~cls/knxcd.pdf.
The latter is in the sleeve when GP of Santa Clara County
distributes Knoppix.  Fold carefully and it will just fit
in a CD jewel box.

--
Cameron
http://web.greens.org/~cls/linux/knoppixoffer.shtml