Re: kernel-source-2.4.18 freezes debian woody

Oliver Fuchs wrote:

Hi,

at the moment I am trying to update (change would the the better word)
my kernel from version 2.2.20 to 2.4.18.

I am using the debian packages kernel-source-2.4.18 and have compiled and
installed it - using the configuration file from the kernel-image-2.4.18
package - I only enable virtual framebuffer (with lilo using vga=0x318).

Now what happens:
I am fetching emails, running mut and slrn (via screen) and on windowmaker I
try to google something with mozilla (all at the same time and from time to time
swichting).

This doing on kernel 2.2.20 shows:
Fetching e.g. 300 emails the system is very slow up to the half of it (150)
and then running normaly.
With kernel 2.4.18 suddenly my screen freezes, then the whole system freezes
and the only thing left to do is to hit the power button with a fsck reboot
in single user mode.

I cannot figure out why the system is hanging and I do not know where to
look. So here are mainly some information about the hardware:

debian version = 3.0

df -h:
/dev/hda6             9.1G  2.8G  5.9G  32% /

/etc/fstab:
/dev/hda5	none		swap	sw,pri=1		0	0
/dev/hda6	/		ext2	errors=remount-ro	0	1

free -m:
Mem:           251        236         14         34         72        117
-/+ buffers/cache:         46        204
Swap:          400          0        400

I am not quite sure but I have the feeling that the swap device is not or
cannot be used.
If you need more information please let me know.

Thanx in advance

Oliver
swapon -a ?