Re: Free linux drivers for V90 Conexant modems

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 21:30 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Asim Jamshed <asim.jamshed@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > For quite some time now, I've been searching device driver for my V90
> > HCF Conexant winmodem. The linuxant site demands a fee for its
> > acquisation. Are there any alternative sites where its driver is
> > available?
>
> Why not just save up for a real (external) modem, slam it into your
> serial port and just go with it without having to futz around with
> broken (HCF) hardware in the first place?

'cause that's one more "thing" on top of/near his PC, with one
more length of cable, and one more wall wart that has to be plugged
in somewhere?

There *are* very valid reasons to have an internal modem.

Better to save up for: USRobotics 56K V.92 Performance Pro Modem
http://www.usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?sku=USR5610B

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"You may either win your peace or buy it: win it, by resistance
to evil; buy it, by compromise with evil."
John Ruskin