Re: nv vs. nvidia

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 13:37 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Hi Debian!
> >
> > Anybody knows what the differences are between the nv Xfree86 driver
> > (Sarge version)  and the Nvidia closed source driver (I use 6111)?

nvidia is the better driver

> > I have used both and see little difference, except that with the former
> > I cannot get glx to work.
>
> About sums it up. Which mean OpenGL won't work and DRI fails as well.

nvidia install sucks the big one ... ( does an incomplete job )

to get glxgears ( opengl ) to work, you have to do lots of fiddling

after several hours of chasing things down .. you need to make sure
your libraries are from the nvidia-*6111 pkg

the fixes and libs to check for
	#
	# ndividia's installer does NOT replace/remove all of the old
	# glut libs, so you have to check for it and fix it manually
	#
	http://www.linux-1u.net/MotherBoard/X11.nvidia.install.txt

	http://www.linux-1u.net/MotherBoard/X11.GLUT.install.txt
	#
	# create the NEW liblut.* if its missing ( probably is )
	# from the *.6111 drivers
	#

c ya
alvin