Re: Need help: How to replace NIC card with another brand

In message <2UoBz-5oI-45@gated-at.bofh.it>, Gary <gary@garynielson.com> writes
I need to replace my NIC card and have an Intel NIC card as a
replacement. The system is already built and configured for the old
card. Do I need to add the module to the kernel? I have never done
that after building the system, so how do I go about it? How do I
configure the NIC for 10 meg speed and half duplex?
System is woody, kernel 2.4.

Have you compiled the existing kernel, plus only modules you actually need, or do you still have an original installation? If the latter, the correct module should be there. You need to add it to the list in /etc/modules, and I think that should do. It's a while since I changed NICs after installation.

If it's your own kernel and module set, I think you need to do another run with the appropriate module added to the old configuration. Leave out the kernel step i.e. just make the modules and install them. Rename the old modules directory first, just in case.

If it's a modern NIC it should work out for itself the speed and duplex requirements. Basically, if it's on a hub it will go half-duplex, full duplex otherwise. Only if it's a fairly old ISA NIC will you need to tell it, and there will be a manufacturer's utility to do this. Finding it may be another matter.
--
Joe