Re: Can't mount DVD any more

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 19:03, Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to be able to mount my dvd, but not now any more.

What did you change in between the times when you could mount it and when
you couldn't?  Every detail you can remember is important.

> Here is my fstab:
>
> $ grep dvd /etc/fstab
> /dev/dvd                /mnt/dvd                auto   noauto,user

Can you post the full listing of the device node?

> When I mount explicitly, I get:
>
> % mount -t iso9660 /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/dvd,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> % mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd/
> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: No medium found
>
> What I can do?

Hmm, why did you use /dev/sr0?  Is /dev/dvd a link pointing to it?  If it
is, then please post the full listing of /dev/sr0.  If it's not, indicate
why you think /dev/sr0 is the proper device node.

The error "No medium found" means mount thinks the drive is correct, but
there's no readable disk in it.  What disk are you trying to mount?  Don't
try to mount a music CD.  Make sure whatever disk you're using is valid, or
else you'll never get this error to disappear.  Do you have a known good
data disk you can try?

> Here is my kernel modules:
>
> $ lsmod | grep -Ei 'scsi|cd|dvd|ide'
> ide-scsi                8464   0  (autoclean)
> scsi_mod               85312   4  (autoclean) [sr_mod sg sd_mod ide-scsi]
> ide-cd                 27936   0
> cdrom                  25056   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
> ide-detect               288   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> ide-disk               12512  12  (autoclean)
> ide-core               94108  12  (autoclean) [ide-scsi ide-cd ide-detect
> sis5513 ide-disk]
>
> Thanks
>
> tong

Oh, yeah, what kernel are you running?  Are you running devfs, or udev?

Justin Guerin