Re: Building binaries for older versions of libc6

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 09:47 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 02:58:16PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I have a C++ program which requires g++ 3.4 to build due to parser bugs
> > in older versions of g++.  I'm currently building on a development
> > machine running mostly woody with some packages from sarge, including
> > g++-3.4 of course.  This requires version 2.3.2 of libc6 itself, and any
> > binaries I build with it appear to require version 2.3.  Now, while I
> > prefer to do development on Debian, I need to build binaries that will
> > run on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, which has version 2.2.4 of libc6.
> >
> > I'm wondering whether it's possible to build binaries with g++ 3.4 that
> > will require only libc6 2.2, and if so, how.  If I remove g++-3.4,
> > downgrade to woody and then build and install g++ from source, is that
> > likely to work?
>
> You're probably better off doing builds in a chroot environment - that
> will allow you to play with the environment in a safe with without
> destabilising your installation.
>
> Have a look at the pbuilder package - altough it is targetted towards
> building debian packages (which you probably want to do anyway), it is
> handy to keep multiple chroot environments, e.g. one for woody, one for
> sarge and one for whatever..
>
> Hope this helps

In addition, you can install dchroot and switch between various chroot
enviroments.  If you modify in your chroot enviroment, the ~/.bash_profile
(make sure the debian_chroot is defined) and put a line describing the chroot
in /etc/debian_chroot, you can have your prompt tell you what chroot
enviroment you are in.  Handy if you have multiple chroot enviroments.

John