apache2 as caching proxy

i have my apache2 server on debian unstable configured as a forward
proxy and as a disk cache.  proxy works, but disk cache does not.  it
never drops any files in the CacheRoot.

i know that the disk_cache module is loaded, and that the CacheRoot
directive is being read, because removing the LoadModule directive for
the disk_cache causes the server to complain about the CacheRoot
directive and not start.

has anyone else seen this trouble?  i've been trying my config through
every version of apache2 since march 2004.

thanks.

here's my proxy.conf:
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>

        #turning ProxyRequests on and allowing proxying from all may allow
        #spammers to use your proxy to send email.

	ProxyRequests On

	<Proxy *>
		Order deny,allow
		Deny from all
		Allow from localhost 192.168 butterfly.hjsoft.com
	</Proxy>

	# Enable/disable the handling of HTTP/1.1 "Via:" headers.
	# ("Full" adds the server version; "Block" removes all outgoing Via: headers)
	# Set to one of: Off | On | Full | Block

	ProxyVia On

	# To enable the cache as well, edit and uncomment the following lines:
	# (no cacheing without CacheRoot)

	CacheRoot "/var/cache/apache/proxy/"
	CacheSize 40
	CacheGcInterval 4
	CacheMaxExpire 24
	CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
	CacheDefaultExpire 1
	# Again, you probably should change this.
	#NoCache a_domain.com another_domain.edu joes.garage_sale.com

</IfModule>
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |