Question about compiling the kernel

Hi all,
   This is a newbie's question about compiling kernel on debian.
   I follow the steps to compile the kernel:
       1) download the kernel source file;
       2) use "menuconfig" to choose the compile options;
3) use "make-kpkg buildpackage -rev Custom.1 kernel_image" to generate .deb file 4) install the kernel by "dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.6_Custom.1_i386.deb" This process may take a long time. My question is that if i want to change the compile options after having install the kernel. For example, i want to add some modules for the kernel. Is it necessary for me to process the whole above four steps? Or is there any simple way to do this? Thank you for suggestions!