Re: Need help playing mp3 files and /or configuring sound

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:41:04 -0700, Sean <seanm@dakotacom.net> wrote:
> I've attached two files which may shed some light when I try to play an
> amp3 file with mpg321.  No I don't know if my sound system even works.

This is a bit of a wild-guess; but check the permissions of
'/dev/audio' - on my system that file is in the group audio and has
group read/write permissions.

Try cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio as a user with such perms and see if
you get random noise. If so, your sound card is configured properly,
afaik.

Your normal user needs to be in group audio.

# adduser sean audio

You need to work from a fresh login (e.g. log out of your terminal
and/or X, log in again) in order for the new group to take effect.

--
Jon Dowland
dowland@gmail.com