keyboard problem in graphical login

Hello,

Ik have a weird problem i hope you will be able to help me with.

Problem:
After upgrading my sarge-system (lots of packages, no idea which causes the
problem) suddenly i cannot type letters in de kdm-login window. Numbers and
other keys work just fine, just no letters. In a console login i don't have
problems.

Things i tried:
*restart xserver (ctrl-bksp works just fine)
*restart kdm from console login (selected with my mouse)
*dpkg-reconfigure kdm
*install gdm: same problem, no letters, just numbers and other keys

In the console my keyboard is just fine and i am able to use startx. That
boots gnome automatically, eventhough i always use kde. Startkde results in
errors ($display not set?). After booting into gnome i can use all my keys
again and am i able to start kde programs (and still use all my keys). This
way i also was able to check my kdm settings in kcontrol.

In the Bugtracker i could only find errors where the whole keyboard fails,
not just the letters. That involved kdm setting the wrong terminal, but my
terminal is vt7 and i have the same problem in gdm.
Once i am in gnome bypassing de display managerlogin everything is fine
again, so i guess it is not related to the xserver.

Now i do not know what to check anymore, i hope one/some of you can help me
solve this.

Best regards,

Jeroen