Re: Playing a wav

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 03:26:58PM -0500, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> Back on SuSE, I could play a wav file just by entering "play file"
> from the command line. I liked this for script end
> notifications. Play isn't installed by default, and there are
> hundreds of hits if I enter "apt-cache search play".
>
> Would someone be so kind as to suggest a command line tool for this
> that's available on Debian?

Try esdplay in package esound-clients.

You can use music123 (package music123) to play various sound files,
including wavs. It depends on other packages to do the real
playing. esdplay is the default for wav files, but can be changed in
/etc/music123rc.

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill