vmware cut and paste

I'm running VMware (4.5.2 build 8848) on Woody, with a Win2K guest. Everything I've tried works fine except for cut and paste between host and guest.

If I make a primary X selection in an xterm, all the VMware Edit menu items stay grey. If I make a selection in Windows (CTRL-C or using a menu or just highlighting), all the VMware Edit menu items stay grey. I've also tried selecting and pasting in various Gnome and KDE apps, but that doesn't work either.

Has anybody seen these symptoms, or have any idea where to look to try to localise the problem? For that matter, does anybody have VMware cut and paste working on Woody?

BTW, VMware's response was: "It appears that you are running a host operating system that is not officially supported with VMware Workstation 4.x (Debian Woody)." There are a number of messages on their forums from people with this problem, but no solutions I could see.

Thanks, Dave