Need direction on alsa/oss sound.

I'm running Debian Unstable and am very confused about how to set up the sound properly. Sound generally works, but it seems a mess with OSS this and ALSA that and esd and arts and so on. When I pull up the gnome mixer, it has an oss tab and an alsa tab. Do I need both? Both of them change the system's sound.

On a seperate note, I tried to record from microphone to a wave file using the rec program. After fiddling with the mixer, I was able to record, but there was always background noise on playback even though I didn't hear the noise through my headphones while recording. I got frustrated and quit (for now).

I'm generally confused about sound on linux oss/alsa/esd/arts... Can someone recommend a good source to help me understand it better? Thanks.

Randall