Re: Where is the key for the password files stored?

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 12:00:24PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> Where is the key used to decrypt the passwords (shadow) files stored?
> I want to reinstall an old redhat system with debian, but I wish to
> preserve old users and passwords to ease the transition process.
>
> Thanks
Hi Micha,
a user enter his password.
the login takes that password.
it runs the password through a hash function which
produces a hash.
this hash is compared against the hash that is stored in /etc/password
At least that is what I understand.
a hash is not 'decryted'. it is compared.

I found this:
http://www.nmrc.org/pub/faq/hackfaq/hackfaq-28.html
-Kev

--