Re: Theme's (gnome) terribly wrong

While I'll admit that I don't know the solution to your problem, and
I'm sure there is one.  I REALLY recommend that you install Debian
Sarge rather than Knoppix.  Knoppix really is designed with KDE in
mind (that's what the K stands for.... there is also a Gnoppix for
Gnome although it's in testing  - and I don't recommend it as it seems
to have a lot of bugs when I tested it).  Debian Sarge on the other
hand has Gnome as the default desktop (I'm using it), and is not hard
to install.  Use the netinstall with the Debian Installer and you
should be in good shape.  Knoppix and Debian, despite their close
relation, really don't seem to mix well.  It's kinda like inbreeding
from what I can tell.  You have sources that are similar enough to
work... but sometimes you get very strange results.  Now I could be
wrong with this, I only base this assumption on the number of similar
problems to yours that I've heard.  Not necessarily with Gnome, but
just "mixing" Knoppix and Debian.  Knoppix is a great piece of work,
but I tend to think of it as being for testing and playing, rather
than using day-to-day.  A lot of the development on it is based around
the decompression used and the ramdisk.  If you want to use a real
distro with the ease that Knoppix has, perhaps try Suse, or Mandrake.
There is also Xandros which is based off of Debian to my knowledge.
However, while Debian is possibly (not sure it is anymore) harder to
install... it is worth the effort as it is a wonderful system.

Go to: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

download the appropriate architecture version of "netinst CD image,
with Debian base".  Then burn and boot.  If you have a broadband
connection it should work quickly.  If not, then it will likely take
some time, perhaps waiting untill Sarge goes stable and then buying a
cd set would be more worthwhile in that scenario.

Best of luck.  I hope if nothing else your issue is resolved.