Re: Maintaining group ownership of new files

Eric Gaumer wrote:

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 06:21 +0100, Upayavira wrote:
Hi,

I've used a freeBSD server where, when a file is created, that file becomes owned by the group who owns the containing folder.

However, I cannot seem to make this happen on a Debian box. Anyone know how?

Basically, I want to 'partition' a server using Unix groups. If a member of a group creates, uses modifies a file, that file is usable, modifiable, by other members of their group.

I of course will be a member of all of these groups.

Any ideas how to make this happen?

Regards, Upayavira
If you setgid the directory, all files will inherit group ownership. So
just create the directory and give it group writable permissions (chmod
2770) and make sure you chown root.group the directory.
Fab - that bit works.

You'll probably
need to change the default umask as well
How can I do that?

You could also go the ACL route if you're using 2.6. This will surely
give you the flexibility you need.
I'm using Sarge at the mo. Dunno which Kernel I'm using. ACLs look interesting.

Thanks for this.

Upayavira