Re: clustering outgoing SMTP servers

On Oct 20, 09:05, Steven Jones wrote:
> I would like to cluster 2 servers to share the load of outgoing email.
>
> Not detail so much as the principles to give me something robust.

I don't do stuff like this anymore since giving up stock options and
start ups for community colleges and group hugs on the Brixton
Frontline.[0]  So you really need to talk to people on the relevant
lists. :-)

I would firstly look at where the bottleneck is on the current server,
probably I/O as it is going to be cheaper and simpler to fix that than
build a H/A clustering solution with all the pain and consultancy fees
that it will entail. :-)

However if you do have money and resources to burn, look at Postfix and
Linux Virtual Server.  There are .debs for them both but this is not
going to be a trivial job have lots of fun.[1] ;-P

[0] Strictly for the INFPs. 8D

[1] http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/
--
Peace Jim :-)

keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 Don't believe all the crap you see in the media about the media we are
 all liars.