Re: Orinoco Driver Patch - Question

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 12:51:24PM +0100, Werner Otto wrote:
> I am currently trying to get airodump to work with my Orinoco Gold
> wireless card.
>
> I need to patch my driver to get 'Monitor' mode enabled on it.
>
> I have been reading some docs and am still missing a few points, maybe
> because I haven't done it before, no excuse though :-)
>
> I have copied my patch to /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
>
> ls - listing
[...modules...]
> my command: patch -p0 < orinoco-0.13b-patched.diff
> can't find file to patch at input line 4
[...]
> At this stage I don't have a clue what to due.... I have tried -p1 and
> -p4 as mentioned in the man pages, but didn't work.
>
> What am I missing?

The kernel source.  Patches are applied to the kernel source, not the
compiled modules.  I think you also may have the wrong patch for the
kernel.  2.6.8 would use the orinoco-0.13e patch.

What you should probably do is:
   0) read documentation about building kernels
   1) download the kernel source
   2) install libc6-dev, libncurses5-dev, gcc, g++, make
   3) copy the patch to $SRCDIR/drivers/net/wireless
   4) cd $SRCDIR/drivers/net/wireless
   5) patch -p1 <orinoco-0.13e-patch.diff
   6) cd $SRCDIR
   7) make menuconfig