Modules can't work after recompiling the kernel

Hi all,
I am newbie to debian. I tried to recompile the kernel 2.6.8 following a
debian-kernel-how-to doc.
And now, i successfully install the new kernel and it can work. But the
problem now is that modules can't work on my new kernel system.
I get the error message when using the command "lsmod":
Module Size Used by Not tainted
lsmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
Also got that error message "modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not
implemented" when trying to use modprobe to enable modules.
I do select "Loadable module support" when compiling the kernel source.

So what's wrong?

Thank you for any suggestions!