Re: Organizing Multiple OSes on Drive(s)

Phil Bardanes wrote:
1. Using a single /home partition with one user/UID. Can I make this
work even if one OS only uses Gnome and another only uses KDE? Also if
one OS uses Evolution 1.4 and the other uses Evolution 2.0?
2. Using a single swap partition.
3. Using a single boot partition to stuff the kernels.

1. May or may not work. I had trouble sharing /home between Debian and SuSE since everything was in different places (SuSE installs KDE in /opt) and different programs were installed.
2. Should be fine
3. This is probably okay unless they go stepping on each others bootloader config (/boot/grub/menu.lst). Debian should be okay since it will ignore the items not added by debconf.

Keep backups and learn to use the 'grub-install' command. Have a bootable CD or floppy around in case it gets screwed up. I have a floppy disk with nothing but grub on it that can be very useful.

Hope this helps.

--
Shawn D'Alimonte  shawnd@mycybernet.net