Re: how stable is testing?

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Szabó András wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Testing sometimes had problems in the last some years, not so much,
> but more than zero is a problem :) Anyway, it is called testing :)
>
> I have some machines running stable debian & some testing packages,
> and i have no problems at all. So you can try it.
> Search google with "apt pinning" ant you will see how.
>
> András

The eternal question that keeps poping up ;-)

Close to a version freeze (as we are now) its quite stable. The farther
away you go from a freeze the less stable it is. Usually unstable is more
stable since fixes go in, in a matter of a day or so, sometimes hours if
they cause problems (inability to install an such).

Problems in testing, once they go in, can take weeks to fix sometimes.
(Like I said though, now is not tipical since a freeze is in progress)