Re: no joy with external USR modem

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:34:21 -0400, Silvan
<dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> The modem was working fine, and isn't very old.  I set up a Linux box for a
> guy across town.  I threw an ethernet card in and plugged the machine into my
> LAN to do a net install.  All was well until I took it back over to try to
> futz around getting the thing to dial AOL for him.
>
> I'm not sure how the AOL thing (penggy) will go, but I'm not even past step
> one yet.  No contact with the modem.  I'm trying the "terminal" button in
> KPPP, just trying to establish contact with the thing for starters.  COM 1 is
> definitely enabled in BIOS, I don't see any IRQ conflicts, etc., but KPPP
> keeps reporting that the modem is busy.
>
> There's no setserial on the box.  I'm wondering if maybe the net install just
> glossed over something because it found a DHCP server at install time?
>
> What are the chances the COM port is actually bad?  What else can I look at?
>
> I've dealt with modem problems before, but never anything quite like this.
> I'm stumped.  I need to figure out what I need to throw on a CD before I
> drive back over there.

IIRC, you don't need setserial or similar utilities to use the modem.
You can check your (or your friend) modem using cat directly to the
serial device, usually /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 (someone correct if
i'm wrong about the dev name, used the modem years ago).
So, my suggestion is to play at the bare metal level, something like
"cat < /dev/ttyS1", this way you'll see the output of the modem, and
eventually you can use cat AT commands to the same device to pilot it.

Andrea

P.S. i recall that the first thing to use a modem here was to disable
the wait for a free line cause the modem defaulted to the continuous
tone instead of the intermittent one used here