ATI Radeon 7500 Support in Sarge

Hey guys,

I'm having some woes with getting Xwindows at the resolutions I want, both
on my laptop and my home system.  I've gotten the furthest on my laptop so I
will talk about that.

So, I ran xf86config and gave it all the data in regards to my video card
and monitor and what not.  This appeared to go smooth and all appear fines.
The thing that worries me is that ati driver is listed as generic.  I
normally wouldn't worry about that, except that I am having problems.

Anyways, so I log into KDE just fine... everything looks great, except for
the fact that 800x600 is the resolution.  I prefer 1024 x 768.  According to
the specs of my laptop, it can handle that and it does under Windows just
fine.

I switch to the resolution and X appears to be able to handle the higher
resolution but something screws up... possibly in KDE.  The only way I can
describe it is that KDE possibly still thinks it is in 800x600 and things
appear wrapped.  The cursor appears as a box with some distorted lines in
it.  Things do not redraw very well and it is pretty much useless.  However,
X does maintain the display and I can move the pointer to all points of the
screen so nothing seems odd there.

I've told KDE to apply the settings on startup and logged out, logged back
in... even rebooted completely only to have the problem back.  Is there a
step I'm missing... do I have to do something special to get full support
for  my video card (ATI Radeon 7500).

Joe