Re: [OT] Debian advocacy for Smart but Scared People With Lives

On 10/21/04 15:20, William Ballard wrote:
My brother in law and nephew are above-average with computer skills
but not C programmers.  Both are resistant to trying the Knoppix CD I
burned for them because I told them it's going to be really hard for
them to get their sound card or network card or what have you working
-- I didn't lie to them.

I just can't get them interested in Linux because they just can't get
 motivated to switch or even dual boot -- even though their computers
are totally infested with Spyware. Nephew can't go anywhere on the internet, he just works around it.

I'm just gonna give up on them.  Should everyone switch?

That was me one year ago, except I was adept enough to use Spybot search
& destroy, zonealarm firewall, and anti-virus s/w so I had no spyware.

What pushed me into the Linux camp? A strong advocate who installed Debian testing/unstable for me. After some initial instruction and coaching ("tab-completion is your friend, use man <command>, etc) I was hooked!

But it's not for someone who resists change or who can't handle making choices. But you know that!

You can tell them about my experience, and that in my daily use for a year, the system has never crashed. Good-bye blue screen of death. No viruses. No spyware. Easy upgrades... You know the rest.

It's amazing that relatively few people understand the revolution that is taking place with the open-source concept and the debian implementation. But it's the experience of using the s/w that opens the eyes!

Regards.