Re: software suspend 2 (swsusp2), patching a Debian source package kernel vs Vanilla

Quoting "H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com>:

> On the webpage
> (http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/Software-suspend-2.html) in Section
> 2.4, they say regarding swsusp2 patches :
> "If your kernel is not the vanilla one from kernel.org, you will have to
> apply these patches manually and edit some of the rejected hunks."
>
> Is the source I get from Debian sources "kernel-source-XYZ" vanilla?

No. A vanilla kernel is one with no extra patches. Debian adds various patches
to it's kernel.

> If it is, I could just do
> $> patch -p1 ../patch-name-here

How well this would work with debian kernels varies with versions (depending on
what already went into the kernel between the time debian decided it was ok and
the time linus decided its ok). You can try first on a debian kernel and see
how many rejects you get. They may be easy to fix, or may not.

If its too difficult to fix you can try a vanilla kernel from kernel.org
instead.

You may want to ask this on the software suspend mailing list. I know that there
are several other people using debian there, its possible that some of them are
using a debian kernel (I've been compiling my own kernels for some years now,
so I don't know what patches debian is using at the moment).

> and continue with:
> $>make menuconfig
> $>make-kpkg --append-to-version=.2.hs --initrd kernel_image modules_image
> $>..install the deb ...
> $> rm /usr/src/linux
> and reboot
>
> However, if the kernel-source-XYZ we get from Debian is NOT vanilla,
> applying the above patch would be more convoluted so I might as well
> just use the kernel directly from kernel.org (or a mirror).
>
> Thanks,
> ->HS
> PS: is the user.laptop mailing usually much less quiter than this one?

You sent this to debian user, not debian laptop, and no, its usually quite
noisy. Debian laptop is much quiter.