Mail Server Questions

Hi, noob here.

We have five machines running various OSes (only one Windows box) with a
Debian sarge business server on our private network. Everything is run
through a dedicated firewall using iptables rules for NAT, packet
filtering, port forwarding, etc. We also have a public server for our
public website. We are using a shared dynamic IP and dyndns.org.

I know very little about setting up mail servers, but I can figure out
the set up of the actual software. The problem is whether the software
will do what I want. This is what I want to do, and I want to start out
in a way that I can understand. I think that I just want to set up a
POP/IMAP server only. I do not want a domain associated with the
mailserver.

I want to set up the mail server to check and download email for all of
our accounts from various POP servers and store it on our business
server on our private network. Then, each user can download his/her
email for the given account from the business server at whatever point
they want. I want them to have the capability of leaving mail on the
business server or removing it (IMAP/POP).

For sending mail, I just want to use our ISP's smtp server, so I do not
need a smtp server. I can just use the local machine's MTA to send the
mail. So, the send process can bypass the mail server.

How would you suggest that I do this? Would sendmail, exim, qmail do
this? Are there any links that cover this that you would suggest?

Thanks!

PB