Re: Adding an unstable package

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:58:31 -0400, Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com> wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I've been playing around with Linux for some time; but, I'm
> very new to Debian.
>
> I have installed the stable version of Debian.  However, I
> really need a more current version of Exim.  I'd like to
> install the exim4-daemon-heavy package which is in the
> testing tree.  I added:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>
> to /etc/apt/sources.list and then ran apt-get as follows:

If you do this, all your system will become SID, aka Debian unstable.
If you only want to use an unstable/testing package you have two path,
look if someone has done what is called a "backport" (you can look at
www.apt-get.org) or you can compile from the Debian source. With the
APT tools it's simpler that what can sound.

> apt-get install exim4-daemon-heavy
>
> I got an error which I'll append to this message.

The error message is because you don't have refreshed the package
lists. You should have used "apt-get update" before the install, but
beware, in this way you'll move practically all your packages to
SID... =)

[...]

If you are new to Debian, i suggest you to lurk/look in this list and
this list archive, or you can look for the official documentation.
There's a lot of web pages targeted at Debian newcomers...

Andrea