Re: no voice from some applications

hi again,

to get the pids (if any one is using)
#fuser /dev/dsp

to see which oss software is locking sound device.
#ps aux | grep {whatever_pid_you_got}

(kill pid if you want to kill it )

on a side note,
are you using kde with gnome applications?

if so, and you want esd you need to do
1) start it manually
2) see /etc/esound/esd.conf, man esd
especially auto_spawn=1
and maybe -d (device) parameter

finally if you want esd,arts or other _alsa_ applications run at the
same time, google for alsa dmix plugin .

aab