Re: SSH Chroot Patch - Anyone successfully using it?

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 07:39:21AM +1000, Michael Bellears wrote:
> Hi Daniel,

It's Danie. Strange, but true :)

> If I do not have the users entry in the chroot'd /etc/passwd, the user
> cannot gain access:

Yes, you need an entry there, in the normal way. The chroot environment
should never be aware that it is chroot'ed.

So, in the chroot'ed /etc/passwd you put a normal entry, no /./ tricks.

Then, in the "host" /etc/passwd you put the /./ trick to the chroot
environment.

Make sure the uid's match though.

I use this successfully to "host" a RH7.3 installation inside a Debian
Sarge installation. We have a commercial app that requires RH7.3 for
support to be happy.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix