Re: Kernel 2.6 compile problem - Solved

David Clymer wrote:

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 06:29, Russ Cook wrote:
David Clymer wrote:

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 19:16, Russ Cook wrote:

I'm running unstable on a Pentium 2 machine, kernel 2.4.18.
I downloaded the kernel-source-2.6.8 deb package today, updated my config file, and
tried to compile the kernel.  I got the following errors:
make[2] [modins_post] Error 1
make[1] [real_stamp_image] Error 2

Where did you get them? Was this the only output? How did you go about
compiling the kernel? What modifications did you make to the config
file?

David (and the list),
In the hope that it might be useful, I've attached the config file. The last compiled files in the process before the error messages, according to the screen output, were in the sound section. If you have ideas for any other output that might be useful, please tell me how to
obtain it and I'll be happy to attemp a recompile and send it to you.

I was actually hoping to get a few answers to the questions I asked :)

Lets start with a play-by-play of your kernel compilation process. What
commands did you type from the point where you thought "i'm going to
compile a kernel" to the point where you saw the above errors?

Then, once you saw the errors, did you attempt to determine what they
meant? If so, what did you do?

The config file is better than nothing, but is not too useful, since I
dont know what *changed* between the original config file and your
current one.

If you want to get the output from a compile or any other command that
produces output, try the following:

mycommand 2>&1 > /path/to/your/favorite/file

this will redirect everything that usually gets sent to your console to
the file that you specified.

-davidc

ps. have you ever seen ESR's guide to asking good questions? Its a great
resource. check it out at:

The problem turned out to be the lack of module-init-tools on my system. An additional problem was that module-init-tools conflicted with modutils already installed. I had to upgrade modutils to most current version first, then install module-init-tools. All is fine now, except that during the process of upgrading all my packages (which probably wasn't necessary) I have lost my /boot/boot.b -> /boot/boot-menu.b . The system boots into vmlinuz-2.6.8 just fine, and my modules load, but I don't have a menu option for booting into the previous kernel. I need to obtain another boot-menu.b somehow.

Anyway, thanks to all who provided suggestions to my compile problem.

Regards,
   Russ