Re: sarge and libc6-i686 (nptl)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:19:10 -0700, John L Fjellstad
<john-debian@fjellstad.org> wrote:
> I noticed that sarge has the libc optimized for i686 with the new thread
> library (nptl).  Has anyone tried it?  Is it safe to install (guessing
> the 'old' non-optimized libc gets removed if I do?).

No, the 686 libs are installed on a different path.

> I really want to test out nptl, but I'd like to hear about other
> people's experience (in installation, usage etc).  From what I've
> gathered around the 'net, nptl is a big deal, so I'm a little hesitant
> in just jumping in the water without looking around first.

It can break some programs, in the package description is mentioned
the IBM JDK and probably others. IMHO you'll see a benefit using the
new NPTL only if you have a very loaded big server. You can try it and
if something broke you can purge it. =)

Andrea