Re: Building binaries for older versions of libc6

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 02:58:16PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I have a C++ program which requires g++ 3.4 to build due to parser bugs
> in older versions of g++.  I'm currently building on a development
> machine running mostly woody with some packages from sarge, including
> g++-3.4 of course.  This requires version 2.3.2 of libc6 itself, and any
> binaries I build with it appear to require version 2.3.  Now, while I
> prefer to do development on Debian, I need to build binaries that will
> run on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, which has version 2.2.4 of libc6.
>
> I'm wondering whether it's possible to build binaries with g++ 3.4 that
> will require only libc6 2.2, and if so, how.  If I remove g++-3.4,
> downgrade to woody and then build and install g++ from source, is that
> likely to work?

Yeah, but g++-3.4 will fail to link against any woody C++ libraries,
since those are built with g++-2.95.  If you only need libstdc++, you
should be OK.  Otherwise you'll need to rebuild all C++ libraries you
link against as well...

--
Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!