strange ps

Hi,

I have a computer which behaves strange.
ps doesn't show all the processes runing on the machine. For example if I have apache, mysql, qmail, tinydns running it will show only first 3 of them (or something like that). If I stop one shown process and I run ps again I will be able to see a hidden process. Then if I start again the process, let's say apache and run ps again I won't be able to see apache process, which is running just fine. The machine is running kernel 2.4. Anyone has an idea why is acting like that ? Any suggestion how could I fix it ?

Thank you!