file upload in web forms

This is probably a software config problem, but I encountered it when I
switched over to Debian, so here's the rub:

I migrated a server from Redhat to Debian/Sarge and now the file upload
forms on Apache don't seem to work any more. I'm processing the files with
a perl cgi script using the 'upload' method in the CGI module. This seems
to be returning empty file handles. I believe we were using apache 1.3
before. Is there something I need to do to enable file uploads in apache2?

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E