Re: [Newbie] ppp: Connection established, but can't ping. How can I get out into Internet?

David Clymer wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 21:50, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
>> I had a similar problem,  When I set up the machine I
>> had a Ethernet card that was autodetected, and the
>> the autodetection set up the ethernet card as the default
>> gateway to the internet.  While your ethernet is the default
>> gateway the dialup won't establish itself as a gateway.  Try to
>> remove the gateway status of your ethernet card, and things should work.
>>
>> It took me a few googles on Linux networking and I found this, but if
>> you can't find a good webpage post a reply, and I will actually start up
>> my old windows partition and see if I can find the webpage that clued me
>> in.
>>

> Please don't top post: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/toppost.htm
>
> A google "i'm feeling lucky" search got me the following page. perhaps
> it was the one you were refering to?
>
> http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-1996-02/msg00026.html
>
> You could use ip-up & ip-down scripts to setup/tear down routes for your
> ppp connection. That would certainly beat doing it manually every time.
>
> -davidc

Gee, I always preferred topposts, but ok,

Hi, David,

I guess I will have to boot up windows tonight (sigh) to get that URL.  No,
what I had to do was find this  configuration file in the /etc hierarchy
and delete the line that said "gateway (192.x.x.x" [whatever x was.]  After
that my dialup took off.

cheers!
---
Scotty