Re: converting old style ufs to ext2

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Marc Jackson wrote:

I've connected a "j-bod" with to an Alpha running the latest stable
release of Debian linux.  I can mount the filesystems as "ufs" in
/etc/fstab, but I can't write to them.
In poking around, it seems as if there is no support for writing to
UFS filesystems.

Q1: is it possible to write to UFS filesystems?

Yes, but this option (CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE) is marked "EXPERIMENTAL" in
the kernel config, I believe, and the notes suggest it can be dangerous.

Q2. Can I convert from UFS to ext2/3 without losing data?

You could simply copy all the files and directories from a UFS
filesystem to an ext2/3 filesystem. Check out 'cp -a' for an easy
way.

(I should also mention the fun and educational double-tar method -- the
first thing that came to my mind, and what I'd probably do -- but I know
from personal experience that 'cp -a' is somewhat more, ahem, foolproof.
If only because there's only one invocation to get right.  :)

- Aaron "yes, I *have* blown up a filesystem with tar, why do you ask?"

--
Aaron Hall           :      "In driving, watch each pedestrian carefully,
ahall@vitaphone.net  :       and expect him to do something foolish..."