Re: space-limiting /var/cache/apt/archives

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 10:44:36AM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:40:29 PDT, Paul Johnson writes:

> >apt-get autoclean (and it isn't in apt.conf(5), it's in apt-get(8),

> Thanks, but this isn't what I'm looking for:
>    autoclean
>          Like  clean,  autoclean  clears  out the local repository of re-
>          trieved package files. The difference is that  it  only  removes
>          package  files that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely
>          useless. This allows a cache to be maintained over a long period
>          without  it  growing  out  of  control. The configuration option
>          APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed packages from  being
>          erased if it is set to off.
>
> Having the previously installed, presumably working, version of a package
>  around is often very useful, especially since I'm using unstable.
>  Although this will be quite handy for stable machines.

Actually, I think apt-get leaves the latest edition in the archive,
i.e. at least if it's listed as the latest version.  At least, that's
the way aptitude does it.  If you did autoclean before doing update, but
after making sure the currently-installed version is not buggy. This
would leave your currently-installed version in the archive.