base-config assumes "testing" even after changing source.list and apt.conf

Hi,

I am in the process of installing Debain Unstable on an Inspiron 5160 laptop. I am using the new Debian Installer (great job, developers! Yeh!). I passed the step where base-config askes for apt sources and did practically nothing except choosing one source - which was by default "testing". Then, in order to get unstable, I changed the sources.list to change "testing" to "unstable" and also gave the default distribution as "unstable" in apt.conf. Did apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade. Still, when I run base-config and tell it to choose another source for apt, it looks and uses a "testing" source. I guess I am missing something here. But what?

Second, this is weird, the security site is not working for the apt. This is the source that base-config includes by itself. I tried both with testing as well as stable, still apt times out.

thanks,
->HS